The Golden Visa in Greece
Perhaps the most competitive Golden Visa scheme in the EU
Invest in a residence permit of an EU member state with the option to apply for nationality after 7 years
The Greek Golden Visa is one of the most popular investment visa programs in the EU. It is a residence permit for non-EU nationals on the basis of an investment, which makes an important contribution to the Greek economy. There are various investment options, but the most common route is an investment in real estate worth at least €250,000.
A Golden Visa from an EU Member State such as Greece is particularly coveted, as this type of investor visa gives the right to apply for citizenship after 7 years and thus obtain the nationality of an EU country which again gives the right to live and work in all European countries. The Greek Golden Visa offers the investor and his immediate family a renewable residence permit of 5 years. Because Greece is not only an EU member, but also a member state of the Schengen zone, you can easily travel through all Schengen countries with this residence permit without an additional visa.
The different options for obtaining the Greek Golden Visa
To be eligible for the Greek Golden Visa, you must make one of the following investments:
- Purchase of real estate with a minimum value of €250,000
- Sign a rental or timeshare agreement with a hotel or tourist establishment for a minimum of 10 years
- A capital investment of at least €400,000 in a company registered in Greece
- An investment of at least €400,000 in Greek government bonds.
- An investment of €400,000 in bonds or shares of a real estate investment company investing exclusively in Greece.
- Depositing a deposit of €400,000 into a Greek bank account.
- An investment of €800,000 in corporate or government bonds.
Although in most cases you need to be in Greece to complete your investment, you can also do this remotely, if you give the power of attorney to a legal representative.
Given the funds involved and the complexity of the application, you will need legal support and advice for a successful application for the Golden Visa in Greece. Companies such as Belalgarve Consultants have a range of experts who offer advice and assistance with international investment, immigration and real estate. Our local partners can handle the investment process in Greece on your behalf.
The Greek Golden Visa, a world of benefits
The Greek Golden Visa is one of the most competitive Golden Visa schemes in the EU and comes with the following benefits:
- The minimum investment requirements are relatively lower than in most other EU countries with similar investment-based residence permits.
- You can obtain the visa for your family members, such as your spouse, (unmarried) children under the age of 21 and dependent parents of yourself or your spouse. A visa can be extended for your children if the child is not older than 24, a student and is unmarried.
- You and your family members can travel visa-free throughout the Schengen zone.
- There are no requirements to live in Greece for a certain period of time to extend the residence permit.
- You can choose to rent out your property investment after purchase and thus generate extra return.
- You can apply for Greek citizenship after seven years of residence. Greece is an EU member state, so you would have access to the EU's free market and visa-free travel to over a hundred countries.
- You can live and invest in Greece.
- You have access to the Greek education system and health care